ArticlesOn October 29, 2014 by Choirmaster
- Keep your throat lubricated as much as possible. Drink lots of water, and get in the habit of always having a water bottle nearby.
- Breathe steam!- use a humidifier or vaporizer, especially during the winter months, and especially at night.
This can work miracles for both treatment and prevention of problems.
- If you do feel like you’re losing your voice, try wrapping a hot towel, or heating pad around your neck, while sipping ice water. Do this for 15-30 minutes several times a day if you can. Even once will help enormously. The idea is that the heat relaxes the muscles, while the cold reduces the inflammation on your vocal folds.
- Drink hot lemon juice or tea with honey. (Throat Coat tea is available at most drug stores, and
is a nice treat!)
- Avoid clearing your throat, and whispering .Both are very hard on vocal folds.
- Gargle with warm salt water.
- If you suffer from allergies, stay on top of them. Once they grab hold, you are wide open for
catching a cold, and losing your voice.